Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Family Knows Best

I recently spoke with my uncle who is a family and child psychiatrist. Since I am majoring in psychology, I decided to ask him about his experiences in college. He said he did a lot of community service because helping people was his main concern. He is very happy with his career and now has his own practice. He only has to see a few people a couple times a week to make a significant amount of money. He makes his own schedule and sees his patients when they are both available. Most of his time is spent with his family and that is what I admire most about him. He was able to send both his kids to college and support his wife while she was out of work for many years taking care of the children. They didn’t go through times of struggle because they were always both well off. He also reassured me that medical school was no joke. It took up all his time for four years so he had to be very devoted. This would not work for me because I want to start having my children at the time that I would be in med school and I want the majority of my time to be spent with them. My conversation with my uncle was very enlightening and inspiring and I hope to grow up to have a life similar to his because he loves what he does and he is happy.

No comments: